Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Handbook of the Birds of the World. 6th February, 2012.



Whilst I was away the final volume of HBW arrived, equally as sumptuous in quality as every other edition in the series. This achievement of consistency across the various volumes is one of the major accomplishments in my opinion besides all the other compliments one might offer against its contents and photographs. When first it was promoted and placed on offer I seriously questioned whether I could afford it. The fact that one could pay by monthly "subscription" helped both the management of  the process and the budgeting of what has been a bit of an elongated purchasing system.

Now, surrounded by the sixteen volumes,  I feel pride in having taken the decision and a certain smugness and comfort when opening up a volume and referring to something specific or simply reading through things at random. When time allows I shall enjoy reading the lengthy article on Climate Change and Birds which is contained within the current volume and going through the promotional literature accompanying it to find out what comes next. Certainly anything beyond this tour de force is almost inconceivable, but of one thing I think we can all be sure, there will be ideas aplenty within Lynx Edicions that will continue to inform and entice us!

No comments:

Post a Comment