Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The start of it all!!

A busy day from the onset with packing the car , a supermarket shop and other errands even before setting off. I'd decided to detour from the direct route to Spurn by calling at the RSPB Blacktoft Sands Reserve to try and see the WHITE-TAILED PLOVER. It's an easy option to simply turn off the eastbound M62 and go through Goole to the reserve. It wasn't that busy and the bird was actually showing from the first hide next to the Centre. How convenient!!!! After having my fill of what is an extraordinarily elegant, even shy looking , bird I visited the other hides as it's some time since I was last here due to all the Covid restrictions.
As I understand it this is only the ninth time this species has been recorded in Britain, so it's quite a significant occurence. ( Yorkshire is somewhat blessed today with a Green Warbler turning up at Buckton and the Black-browed Albatross sporadically returning to Bempton ). As I moved on Cetti's Warbler called loudly from nearby cover and proved to be the best of very few passerine species in evidence and recorded. As might be expected at this time of year waders were in good numbers. It was good to see numbers of Common Snipe , Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Green Sandpiper, together with a few Greenshank and Lapwing. An adult and immature Water Rail dodged about on the edge of one of the extensive reedbeds, three Marsh Harriers put in an appearance and several duck species were present ( Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Teal.). Conscious that I'd been there for three hours I retraced my steps to the motorway ( the only downside of this cunning plan! ) as I wanted to miss the Friday night exodus from Hull. It proved to be even less busy than previously, despite the roadworks affecting the centre of the city and I managed to reach Spurn by the end of the afternoon. This weekend coincides with that of the Spurn Migration Festival ( again I believe its ninth anniversary ). Its location has changed this year to the large field on the left immediately before the bad right angle bend at the Blue Bell. Previously held at Westmere Farm ( where I always stay in one of the self catering units) it had proved easy in the past to leap out and intercept old friends that had been spotted amongst attendees. A bit more ingenuity might be required this time around! Having unpacked the car some nine hours after the reverse process I got sorted out, ate and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment